Component Relations Manager
IAFC Now Accepting Applications for Committee Membership
May 3, 2012
The IAFC is looking to fill a limited number of openings on the following committees:
1. Communications Committee. This committee focuses on wireless radio communications issues that impact the U.S. fire & emergency services and public safety. The Committee analyzes current issues and informs and guides the IAFC board of directors as necessary; analyzes legislative proposals from Congress and works with the administration on communications issues, especially offices in the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Communications Commission; and analyzes and works with private sector organizations that develop proposals of interest to public safety communications.
2. Environmental Sustainability Committee. This committee serves as a clearing house for all environmental sustainability issues affecting the fire service. The committee promotes best practices that reduce the environmental footprint and economic impact of emergency services operations.
3. Professional Development Committee. This committee provides strategic direction in professional development to meet the fire and emergency services leadership challenges of today and tomorrow. The vision of the Committee is to provide the necessary leadership and influence to make the IAFC the national focus in the development of effective and successful incumbent and future chief fire officers. Professional development is the planned, progressive career-long process of education, training, self-development and experience.
4. Program Planning Committee. This committee develops a comprehensive, entertaining and informative educational program for the annual Fire-Rescue International conference. Each year, the Committee develops a call for papers and then evaluates presentation proposals to determine applicability to the conference audience, as well as quality and level of material submitted. The Committee searches for and reviews proposals for the keynote and educational keynote speakers and makes speaker recommendations to the IAFC President.
5. Terrorism & Homeland Security Committee. This committee is a policy-oriented committee whose mission is to provide direction and subject matter expertise on the fire and emergency services role in matters of homeland security. To fulfill this mission, the committee monitors current trends, policies and directives at all levels of government so as to provide appropriate guidance to all stakeholders. The Committee is tasked with identifying and implementing projects and programs that support IAFC’s continued reputation as a trusted resource – to both the fire service and beyond – on homeland security issues.
Qualifications and How to Apply
All committee members must meet specific professional qualifications pertinent to the committee appointment and are expected to play an active role in committee activities and contribute to the mission of the committee. Committee chairs will review all candidates before passing recommendations to IAFC President Al Gillespie and 1st Vice President Hank Clemmensen. In addition to appropriate work experience, all committees strive to achieve geographic balance and diversity among committee members.
If you’re interested in being considered for one of the committees listed above, please submit a letter of interest with a résumé and complete contact information to Joelle Fishkin, Component Relations Manager, no later than Friday, May 18. Please name the committee of interest.
New committee members will be expected to attend the committee meeting at FRI 2012 in Denver and are encouraged to begin participating on teleconferences immediately. The IAFC does not provide financial assistance for committee members to attend FRI.
Committee membership is open IAFC members only. For complete deatils on all of IAFC committees and to learn more about how to make the most of your membership and contribute your leadership skills, visit Get Involved.
Not a member? Being able to serve as a leader of the association is just one of many benefits of membership. Learn more about the positive of impact membership and how you can become a member today.
Red Meets Green:
The IAFC Environmental Sustainability Committee
IAFC Receives Federal Award for Achievement in Education
Fire service education leaders gather at conference
Environmental Sustainability: Reduce Utility Costs for Big Savings with Little Investment