Intrastate Mutual Aid System (IMAS)
With support from DHS' National Integration Center (NIC), the goal of IMAS was to support the development of comprehensive and functional mutual aid plans for the fire service in all states, tribal nations and U.S. territories.
IMAS Success Stories
Guide to Intrastate Mutual Aid Planning (pdf)
A guide to assist the fire service in any state to develop or enhance intrastate mutual aid plans. The guide includes a recommended planning process, proposed functional components of a plan, best practice tips to help with planning, and some obstacles and supporting factors that could affect the development of a plan.
Field Guide Development
To help states market and educate fire service personnel on their plan, the IAFC assisted in the creation of a pocket- sized field guide based on the response plan. Once agreed by the stakeholders, the states and localities were encouraged to distribute the field guides to their emergency response personnel. The following examples can be used as templates.
- Tennessee FROG (pdf)
- Texas Field Guide (pdf, 2.6 mb, updated 11/2/09)
- California FIRESCOPE (pdf, 2.1 mb)
State Marketing Tools
Each state having a mutual aid plan is a key step towards having a successful mutual aid system. View the examples below for ideas:
- Tennessee Tactical Marketing Plan (pdf, 2 mb)
- IMAS Marketing Tool: Tennessee Marketing Video
- Minnesota Mutual Aid Pocket Guide (pdf)
Training key personnel is essential for a mutual aid plan to operate well. View the sample training materials below for guidance:
Tabletop Exercise Scenarios
Plan maintenance ensures that a state's plan is current and maintained as a working document. Tabletop exercises can be used to identify gaps in a plan, train on a plan, and update appendices and forms. View the scenarios below that have been created for conducting tabletop exercises.
- Exercise 1: Building Collapse Scenario (pdf)
- Exercise 2: Chemical Scenario (pdf)
- Exercise 3: Earthquake Scenario (pdf)
- Exercise 4: Heat Emergency Scenario (pdf)
- Exercise 5: Terrorism Scenario (pdf)
- Exercise 6: Tornado Scenario (pdf)
- Exercise 7: Transportation Scenario (pdf)
Articles on IMAS
- Mutual Aid Demonstration at FRI a Success: MABAS Drill exercises and educates
September 15, 2010
- Developing and Testing IMAS's New Resource-Management System
IAFC On Scene - March 1, 2010
- EMC and IMAS Activities (pdf): Presentation to Board of Directors, August 11, 2008
- A Homeland Security Success: Building a Culture of Preparedness (pdf)
- IAFC Intrastate Mutual Aid System Overview Presentation
- California OES Presentation
- Florida Fire Chiefs Association State Emergency Response Plan Overview
- Illinois Mutual Aid Box Alarm System
- Ohio Fire Chiefs Association OFSERP
- USDA Forest Service
- DHS National Fire Service Responder Credentialing System
Suspicious Activity Reporting: See Something, Say Something—But To Whom?
Proving Mutual Aid: Texas' Experience with Hurricane Ike
Mutual Aid Plans
Company Officer Leadership: Are You Prepared to Handle Any Response?