Company Officers Section
Whether you're a new, experienced or aspiring company officer, make the IAFC your top-of-mind resource for leadership skills training, knowledge resources, and connecting with other company officers and experienced chiefs. Visit often for educational opportunities and IAFC developments affecting company officers, as well as ways to connect with fellow leaders. We're here to support you!
IAFC Welcomes Company Officers as Official IAFC Section
"The formation of the IAFC Company Officers Section was the major recommendation of the IAFC Company Officer Task Force back in 2011," says Section Chair Mike Jaffa, captain, Santa Fe County (N.M.) Fire Department. "To see it come to fruition is a testament to all the hard work of COLC members, past and present, as well as the IAFC board of directors, who have encouraged us along the way."
To provide information, education, services and representation to company officers to enhance their professionalism and service to community.
How to Join
- IAFC members of all ranks are welcome to join the section. You can add the section when you renew your IAFC membership. Section dues are $25 annually. If you wish to join the section now, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Not an IAFC member? Join the IAFC and the section online now. IAFC dues for company officers are $95. Dues for chief officers and above start at $189 and vary depending on region. COS dues are $25.
Professional Development Resources
2015 Company Officer Podcast Series
Listen to officers of various ranks and experience levels share insight and guidance on how to develop professionally as a company officer.
- The Benefits of Credentialing for the Company Officer (mp3) - Chief Reggie Freeman (Lockheed Martin Aeronautics FD - Fort Worth, Tx.) discusses how credentialing will help ensure that the 21st century company officer has the requisite skill set to successfully lead at both the company and organizational levels.
- The Role of the Company Officer in Creating a Culture of Safety (mp3) - With a career that spans 45 years, Dr. Burt Clark (Mount Airy, Md.) shares his thoughts on the concepts of culture, safety and being proactive in the area of community risk reduction.
- Cancer in the Fire Service - coming soon
Articles by IAFC Company Officer members
Fire Prevention Week is Just Around the Corner - October 2015 - by Captain Mary Emge
Any Call Any Time - July 2015 - by Captain Joe Bradley
Regional Collaboration (pdf) - July 2015 - by Lieutenant Randall Hanifen
Principles of Effective Organizational Structures - June 2015 - by Lieutenant Chris Divver
Building Equity at the Kitchen Table - May 2015 - by Lieutenant Chris Divver
Relevant to the Community - April 2015 - by Captain Mike Jaffa
Avoiding Complacency in Your Leadership Role - March 2015 - by Captain Jonathan Messick
Saving Firefighters from Themselves - January 2015 - by Captain Demond Simmons
Company Officer Mentor Program - IAFC company officer members - choose a chief officer or company officer as a mentor and start learning from an expert who wants to share and help you grow.
Company Officer Leadership Symposium (COLS) - an intense, 3-day program providing company officers with valuable skills and knowledge required to stay ahead and grow as a leader. Graduating from the program demonstrates exceptional professional growth for promotional assessments. The next COLS session will be held at FRI 2015 in Atlanta. IAFC members save up to $100 on registration. Check out these tips to justify your attendance (pdf).
IAFC Officer Development Handbook - a great resource for present and future leaders, this handbook has over 60 pages of valuable information and recommendations for career advancement with an emphasis on leadership competencies through all four levels of officer development. All COLS attendees receive complimentary copies of this handbook.
Create job alerts to ensure new jobs that match your search criteria are emailed directly to you.
Go to all career postings >
Board of Directors: Director, Canadian Division
Request FRI 2015 Session Handouts
IAFC to Develop Rail Safety Program Thanks to ALERT Grant
Departments & Staff