Ann Davison, CAE
Strategic Information Manager
New Fire Service Executive Development Institute Now Accepting Applications
January 29, 2013
The International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) is now accepting applications (pdf) for the Fire Service Executive Development Institute, a new year-long leadership-development program developed by the association to provide new and aspiring chiefs with the tools they need to have successful and productive tenures.
“Today’s business, political and military leaders have access to outstanding cohort-based learning opportunities that allows them to learn from experts, connect with peers and prepare them to run a successful, forward-thinking enterprise. Fire-EMS leaders should have the same opportunity,” said Chief Hank Clemmensen, IAFC president and chairman of the board. “The IAFC Fire Service Leadership Development Institute will provide greater access to this kind of high-level professional development that will support the strength and growth of our departments as dynamic community leaders.”
Those interested in the program must apply by February 8. Participation is limited to a cohort of 20 participants, who will be awarded a scholarship to cover airfare, housing and meals associated with program participation, thanks to the generous support of a grant from the Motorola Solutions Foundation.
The following criteria and guidelines have been established:
- Application is open to new and aspiring chiefs who have demonstrated a commitment to career advancement.
- Participants must make a one-year commitment to the program, which includes the following:
- A 6-day introductory residency at the National Conference Center in Leesburg, Va. This is currently scheduled for March 11, 2013.
- A 4-6 month period of self-study, during which the participants will have access to mentors and executive coaches. There will also be opportunities for peer discussions.
- Institute attendees will then come together for 2 days of additional educational sessions, followed by continued mentoring and coaching.
- At the end of the program, Institute participants will come together for a final 2-day debriefing session.
- Upon completing the program, participants will be asked to complete a project that contributes to the enhancement of the fire service and to actively participate in professional organizations at the state or national level.
The program draws on a variety of learning models, from the traditional classroom experience to technology-based self-study. Peer- and mentor-supported learning is the primary and consistent element throughout each study experience.
The program focuses on fire and emergency service leadership, but will also expose participants to broader leadership trends and successful strategies from other industries.
To illustrate, the introductory residency component will feature experts from the fire and emergency service and the private sector, who will cover such topics as:
- leadership in the new era
- emerging concepts in organizational design and delivery
- human resource management
- effective use of science and data
- labor–management relations
- financial management
To apply to the Fire Service Executive Development Institute, please complete the application (pdf) and return via email to email@example.com or fax to 703-273-9363 by Friday, February 8. For questions or more information, please contact Mary Beth Michos, IAFC senior advisor, at 703-680-1150 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)
The IAFC represents the leadership of firefighters and emergency responders worldwide. IAFC members are the world's leading experts in firefighting, emergency medical services, terrorism response, hazardous materials spills, natural disasters, search and rescue, and public safety legislation. Since 1873, the IAFC has provided a forum for its members to exchange ideas, develop professionally and uncover the latest products and services available to first responders.
IAFC Continues Growth of Next-Generation Fire Service Leaders with Support from Motorola Solutions Foundation
President's Letter: We Are More Alike Than You Think
President's Letter: Thanks to a Retiring Leader
IAFC On Scene Remains Go-To Publication for Chief Officers