VCOS Scholarship Programs
Page links: Emerging Leader | VCOS Symposium | Fire-Rescue International
Symposium in the West Scholarships
VCOS Symposium in the West is excited to announce 2 NEW scholarships for the 2018 conference May 3-5 in Phoenix. This scholarship is dedicated to the memory of Frank Byrne, a long-time volunteer firefighter for Collingdale (Pennsylvania) Fire Company #1.
Two award recipients will receive full conference registration and a $1,000 travel stipend for attendance to the 2018 conference. Scholarship applications will be accepted through March 14. Apply today. You do NOT need to be an IAFC-VCOS member to apply. The successful applicants will be notified by the end of March and will be awarded the $1500 scholarship check at the Symposium. Therefore, the scholarship recipient must be prepared to pay upfront expenses.
Emerging Leader Scholarship
The Gasaway Consulting Group, LLC is sponsoring a $1,500 Emerging Leader Scholarship to assist with registration and travel expenses for the VCOS Symposium in the Sun. "I am a big proponent of the concept of paying it forward," noted GCG President Dr. Richard B. Gasaway. "The VCOS and the Symposium in the Sun have played a very important role in my development as a chief officer. I am delighted to be able to give back to the VCOS and help a new chief attend this world-class conference." You do not need to be an IAFC-VCOS member to apply for the Emerging Leader Scholarship.
The 2018 application period will be open later this year. The successful applicant is notified at the beginning of September and is awarded the $1500 scholarship check at the Symposium. Therefore, the scholarship recipient must be prepared to pay upfront expenses.
Fire-Rescue International (FRI) Scholarships
$1500 VCOS-sponsored scholarships are awarded to IAFC-VCOS members only
The Volunteer & Combination Section (VCOS) of the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) awards two $1,500 scholarships to attend Fire-Rescue International (FRI) each year. This scholarship program was developed to promote leadership through learning among volunteer and combination officers.
Scholarships are awarded based on the applicant’s description of how the department or attendee will benefit from attendance at FRI. Applicants for the scholarships must be members of the IAFC and VCOS. The 2018 application period closes June 1. Winners are notified in early July and are awarded the scholarship checks at FRI. Therefore, scholarship recipients must be prepared to pay upfront expenses. Scholarship recipients are expected to attend classes and fully participate in FRI. The scholarship will be presented at the VCOS Annual meeting at FRI in Dallas.
Apply for the VCOS FRI Scholarship Now!
Please contact board member Chief Donna Black or Chief Jason Catrambone with any questions regarding the FRI scholarship program or the application process.
VCOS FRI Scholarship Winners
- 2017: Operations Chief Michael Blackwill, Windsor Severance (Colo.) Fire Rescue Chief Jonathon Mills, Olympia (N.C.) Volunteer Fire Department
- 2016: Chief Ryan Pierson, Highland Chemical Engine Company (N.J.) and Captain Andrew DeVries, Bayside (Alaska) Fire Department
- 2015: Chief Kevin Cooney, South Windsor (CT) Fire Department and Chief Christopher Maeder, Fairview (NY) Fire District
- 2014: Lieutenant Charles Bailey, Rineyville (Ky.) Fire Department and Chief Timothy Morrissey, Sherborn (Mass.) Fire Department
- 2013: Chief Stephen N. Pegram of Goshen Township (Ohio) Fire & EMS and Senior Group Captain Leonard William Carter, EFO of New South Wales (Australia) Rural Fire Service
- 2012 : Deputy Chief Stephen Addezio of Evesham (N.J.) Fire Rescue and Deputy Chief Jason Caswell of Hope Valley-Wyoming (R.I.) Fire District
- 2011: Fire Chief Dennis Covey of Malabar (Fla.) Fire Rescue and Battalion Chief Robert Talburt of the Logan-Rogersville (Mo.) Fire Protection District
- 2010: Fire Chief Ty Dickerson of the Lexington (Va.) Fire Department and Fire Chief Adam Farrar of the Wadesville (Ind.) Fire Department
- 2009: Deputy Chief David Weiss of the Westmount (Ill.) Fire Department and Fire Chief Judy Thill of the Inver Grove Heights (Minn.) Fire Department were selected as the first winners of the VCOS FRI Scholarships.
Emerging Leader Scholarship Winners
- 2017: Chief Joseph Bartos, West Point (Va.) Fire Department
- 2016: Captain Jeff Gooch, Cranberry Township (Penn.) Volunteer Fire Company
- 2015: Captain Adam Farrar, Scott Township (Ind.) Fire Department
- 2014: Asst. Fire Marshal/Deputy Emergency Management Coordinator Dan Kerrigan of East Whiteland Township (Penn.) Department of Codes and Life Safety
- 2013: Captain Brian Taylor of the Bazetta Township (Ohio) Fire Department
- 2012: Fire Chief Ryan Pierson of the Pitman (N.J.) Fire Department
- 2011: Fire Chief David DeRoller of the Sea Breeze (N.Y.) Fire District
- 2010: Fire Chief Scott F. Brewer of St. Tammany (La.) Parrish Fire District #9 is the winner of the first Gasaway Emerging Leader Scholarship.
VCOS Symposium in the Sun Scholarships
$1500 VCOS-sponsored scholarships are awarded to IAFC-VCOS members only
This VCOS-sponsored scholarship program was developed to assist chief officers from volunteer and combination departments which lack the financial resources to offer professional development to their leaders. The scholarships will be awarded based on the applicant's description of how the knowledge gained at VCOS's annual Symposium in the Sun will contribute to the betterment of their leadership skills and improved functioning at their department.
The 2018 application period will be open later this year. Applicants for the scholarships must be members of the IAFC and VCOS.
The two successful applicants are notified by the beginning of September and are awarded their $1500 scholarship checks at the Symposium. Therefore, scholarship recipients must be prepared to pay upfront expenses.
Please contact board members Chief James Seavey at firstname.lastname@example.org or Chief Chuck Flynn at email@example.com with any questions regarding the Symposium scholarship program or the application process.
Symposium in the Sun Scholarship Winners
- 2017: Captain Richard Andrews, Gilford (N.H.) Fire-Rescue and Chief William Jones, Roanoke Island (N.C.) Volunteer Fire Department
- 2016: Chief William Rector, Dunkirk (Md.) Volunteer Fire Department Inc.
2015: Chief Tim Stuckey, Sheridan (Ark.) Fire Department and Battalion Chief Corinne Piccardi, Cabin John Park (Md.) Volunteer Fire Department
- 2014: Chief Ken Ranalli of the Demorest (Ga.) Fire Department and Chief Jennifer Williams of the Southeast Chickasaw (Miss.) Volunteer Fire Department
- 2013: Deputy Chief David Hodges of the Maryville (Tenn.) Fire Department and Chief David Weiss of the Westmont (Ill.) Fire Department
- 2012: Fire Chief Donna Black, EFO, of the Duck (N.C.) Fire Department and Fire Chief Jason Catrambone of the Spanish Peaks-Boncarbo (Colo.) Fire Protection District
- 2011: Firefighter/EMT Amanda K. Gingell of the Harrisville (R.I.) Fire Department and Fire Chief John R. Nixon, Antioch (Ill.) Fire Department
- 2010: Fire Chief Jeff Karrow of the Alexandria (Minn.) Fire Department and Assistant Chief Kevin D. Hardwick of the Glendale (Ohio) Fire Department
- 2009: Chief Mike Vaughn of the Washington (Ill.) Fire Department and Chief Mark Ellis of the Potterville (R.I..) Fire Department were the recipients of the first VCOS Symposium scholarships.