June 30, 2021 1:30 PM -
3:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
Engage with colleagues and local/national fire chiefs to hear from aircraft manufacturer Sikorsky, a Lockheed Martin company, about the S-70 FIREHAWK helicopter.
Over the last 20 years, Los Angeles County Fire Department (LACoFD) has pioneered tactics for successful wildland fire suppression using its three S-70A FIREHAWK aircraft.
In 2020, LACoFD, Cal Fire and the City of San Diego all began operating the S-70i, the new generation model that brings firefighters improved flight performance, safety and water drop capability.
- How Sikorsky in collaboration with United Rotorcraft, a division of Air Methods, has evolved the FIREHAWK helicopter to meet the needs of 21st century wildland firefighters
- how fire chiefs and pilots are taking advantage of the new generation S-70i model’s improved engine power, greater maneuverability and lift at high altitudes, reduced pilot workload, and a newly-designed 1,000-gallon (3,785-liter) external water tank to attack wildland fires more safely and effectively
- why the FIREHAWK aircraft’s military (Black Hawk) design and construction is a pre-requisite for reliable and safe aerial firefighting
- how the FIREHAWK aircraft remains a versatile multi-role platform for year-round use, and a highly credible long-term investment
- when Sikorsky expects the FAA to conclude its final certification of the S-70M FIREHAWK variant
- IAFC Introduction (5 minutes)
- Firehawk California Video Presentation (2 minutes)
- Sikorsky Firehawk Overview (8 minutes)
- Los Angeles County Fire Department Firehawk Operational Overview (40 minutes)
- FEMA Grants Highlights (5 minutes)
- CAL Fire and San Diego Fire Chiefs’ Panel Discussion (30 minutes)
The Town Hall will allow for open discussion with chiefs and pilots who use FIREHAWK® aircraft (or other units) about their lessons learned during the 2020 fire season.