The Heart Safe Community Award is now open!
DEADLINE: April 07 2023 at 11:59 PM EDT (Midnight)
The annual Heart Safe Community Awards are presented by the IAFC EMS Section at Fire-Rescue Med to one fire department serving a large community (population of over 100,000) and one fire department serving a small/mid-sized community (population under 100,000).
Criteria: Agencies and systems nominated will have demonstrated creative approaches to improving therapies for patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes and its life-threatening complication, sudden cardiac arrest, through:
- Bystander CPR
- AED deployment (i.e., AED registries/locations, PAD programs, First Response)
- Out-of-hospital 12-lead ECGs
- 12-lead ECG advanced notification to the receiving hospital
- Partnering with local hospitals to improve outcomes from ACS and sudden cardiac arrest
- Communication and outreach programs to increase awareness and prevention of sudden cardiac arrest and heart attacks
- Use of mobile technology to engage and activate citizen and off-duty responders to sudden cardiac arrest events
- Additional criteria to be determined in cooperation with sponsor and subject to final approval by the IAFC EMS Section
Award recipients must submit a short description of their community program for presentation during FRM opening ceremonies. Their stories will be featured in future white papers and case studies to promote best practices and the award program in the future.
Contact the EMS Section staff liaison: Ken LaSala