2020 Proposed Amendments to the IAFC Constitution and Bylaws
Article V. Board of Directors
Section 4(3). Other Committees
Subsection 2(c) Constitution, Bylaws and Resolutions Committee
Article VII. Amendments
Section 2. Conference Amendments
Proposed by the Constitution, Bylaws and Resolutions Committee, the proposed changes would require proposed resolutions or amendments to the IAFC Constitution and Bylaws offered from the floor during the IAFC Business Meeting be submitted at least 48-hours in advance of the start of the meeting.
Constitution, Bylaws & Resolutions Committee Recommendation: YES.
The 48-hour notification would provide a member wishing to make a motion from the floor – whether an amendment to the Constitution and Bylaws or a resolution – ample time to ensure it is offered properly at the Business Meeting. It also would ensure that the officer presiding at the Business Meeting is able to verify the members present are qualified to vote and prepared to properly manage the motion, including communicating a recommendation from the CBR Committee, if applicable.
IAFC Board of Directors Recommendation: YES
View the proposed amendments to the Constitution and Bylaws (pdf)
The 2020 IAFC ballot/election is closed. Results to be announced shortly.
Constitution & Bylaws
IAFC Policy Manual
The Constitution, Bylaws and Resolutions (CBR) Committee is a permanent committee of the IAFC. It consists of one representative from each IAFC division and three at-large members appointed by the president and chairman of the board. The committee initiates and/or reviews proposed changes to the IAFC Constitution and Bylaws and reports on the changes to the IAFC Board of Directors and to the IAFC membership.
The committee also receives and reviews all resolutions submitted by the membership and makes a recommendation on each resolution in a report to the membership. The committee then submits resolutions to the general membership for a vote at the general business meeting, held at Fire-Rescue International. Resolutions automatically expire after three years.
The IAFC Constitution & Bylaws is a living document that governs the activities of the association. It is reviewed annually by the CBR Committee. Members requesting changes to the IAFC Constitution & Bylaws must submit their proposal in writing to the CEO/executive director of the association by February 1 in a manner prescribed by the CBR Committee. Track-changed Microsoft Word document is preferred.
IAFC 2021 Resolutions
Resolutions for CBR Committee consideration must be submitted by February 1, 2021.
IAFC 2020 Resolutions
None submitted in 2020.
IAFC 2019 Resolutions
- Cancer Presumption Legislation (pdf)
- Rules of Engagement (pdf)
IAFC 2018 Resolutions
None submitted in 2018.
IAFC 2017 Resolutions
None submitted in 2017.
2020 Key Dates
- February 1, 2020 - Deadline to submit proposed amendments to the IAFC Constitution and Bylaws, division bylaws and section bylaws to the IAFC Executive Director.
- February 22, 2020 - CBR Committee Meeting at IAFC Headquarters/Chantilly, Virginia
- May 18-June 17, 2020 - IAFC Election via electronic ballot
- June 1, 2020 - Deadline to submit agenda items for CBR Committee meeting at Fire-Rescue International.
- June 4, 2020 - CBR Committee Conference Call
- August 18, 2020 - CBR Committee Meeting at FRI/Phoenix, Arizona (tentative date)
CBR Committee Meeting Minutes
- June 4, 2020 - Conference Call (minutes pending)
- February 22, 2020 - IAFC Headquarters/Chantilly, Virginia (PDF)
- October 11, 2019 - Conference Call (PDF)
- August 7, 2019 - FRI/Atlanta, Georgia (PDF)
- June 6, 2019 - Conference Call (PDF)
- March 7, 2019 - Conference Call (PDF)
- February 21, 2019 - Conference Call (PDF)
- August 8, 2018 - FRI/Dallas, Texas (PDF)
- March 6, 2018 - Conference Call (PDF)
- July 26, 2017 - FRI/Charlotte, North Carolina (PDF)
- March 11, 2017 - IAFC Headquarters/Fairfax, Virginia (PDF)
- August 17, 2016 - FRI/San Antonio, Texas (PDF)
- March 12, 2016 - IAFC Headquarters/Fairfax, Virginia (PDF)
Battalion Chief Lorrie Kalos
San Francisco Fire Department