September 23 -
Dale City, VA
IAFC’s Workforce Solutions has a new mentoring course aimed at volunteer and combination departments. “Helping Members Find Their Spark Through Mentoring” teaches students how to start a mentoring program in their department. The course expands on the knowledge gained in the 4-hour web-based training of the same name that all students are required to take before attending the instructor-led training. This course features minimal lecture time but instead focuses on group discussions, small group activities and scenario-based activities. By the end of the course, students will understand how to start and maintain a mentoring program at their department.
The course focuses on the following six topics:
- Determining if a mentoring program is right for you and your department
- Establishing a successful mentoring program
- Choosing and training mentors
- Aligning new members with the right mentor
- Ensuring the long-term success of your program
- Troubleshooting common issues with a mentoring program
4 hours of pre-work is required to complete this program. Reimbursement of travel costs is available through a FEMA SAFER grant for members attending from volunteer and combination fire departments.
Please direct any questions about this course to Ilhan Abdi: firstname.lastname@example.org.