The International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) is relaunching the Near Miss Reporting System to provide a more interactive user experience and a renewed focus on training that turns lessons learned into action.
A grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Assistance to Firefighter Grant Program has supported the Near Miss’s next-generation transition; this includes increased education and advanced technology transferred from the Department of Defense and will help the program become self-sustaining in the future.
The relaunched Near Miss is founded on efforts to grow Near Miss offerings to meet the needs of today’s fire service professionals and to establish partnerships with like-minded organizations, all while keeping the program’s core mission intact.
The emerging Near Miss support community includes longstanding partners such as FirefighterCloseCalls.com, academic institutions such as Oklahoma State University’s International Fire Service Training Association, and AlphaTRAC, an organization focused on crisis-decision training based in Westminster, Colo.
The relaunch provides a dynamic experience that up-and-coming firefighters and EMS personnel can readily relate to.
Here's some of what you can expect:
- An updated report submission process, powered by AlphaTRAC’s XCapture™ technology, for improved data collection and analysis
- Website enhancements that improve visitors’ ability to find and share reports with the Near Miss community
- The launch of a new Near Miss training environment that includes:
- A revamped Report of the Week – sign up on the website
- A training bundle that will be piloted in February, including a short training video and tabletop scenarios based on Near Miss reports
- A monthly scenario-based training simulation, using AlphaTRAC’s AlphaACT® decision-making training applications.
With the relaunch, the Near Miss Reporting System takes another step forward and renews its commitment to turn near-miss experiences into safe practices for the fire and emergency service.
Visit the new and improved Near Miss Reporting System at FireFighterNearMiss.com to share your near miss experiences, learn from the database of reports and train using real-world experiences.
About the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)
The IAFC represents the leadership of firefighters and emergency responders worldwide. IAFC members are the world's leading experts in firefighting, emergency medical services, terrorism response, hazardous materials spills, natural disasters, search and rescue, and public safety legislation. Since 1873, the IAFC has provided a forum for its members to exchange ideas, develop professionally and uncover the latest products and services available to first responders. Learn more