Fairfax, Va. - The unofficial results of the IAFC election have been returned and show that Gary Curmode, fire chief of Copper Mountain (Colo.) Fire Department, has received the majority of the IAFC members’ votes and will become the IAFC's second vice president in August at Fire-Rescue International 2016 in San Antonio.
“I’d like to commend both Chief Curmode and Chief Trauernicht for offering their candidacies to help lead our great organization and running professional campaigns for this important office," said Chief Rhoda Mae Kerr, IAFC president and chair of the board.
The following were uncontested elections:
- Chief John Sinclair, Kittitas Valley (Wash.) Fire & Rescue for IAFC president
- Chief Tom Jenkins, Rogers (Ark.) Fire Department for IAFC first vice president
- Richard Carrizzo, Southern Platte (Mo.) Fire Protection District for IAFC Treasurer
Members also voted on two bylaw changes:
- Approved moving the duties of the CEO/Executive Director to the IAFC out of the bylaws and into the IAFC “Policies and Procedure Manual,” thereby allowing the IAFC Board to determine those duties.
- Rejected the proposed change to allow leadership as a section officer from individuals who may not be directly employed by a fire department, although their roles within a form of government are aligned with the goals of the IAFC.
To learn more about the IAFC's current leadership, visit the IAFC’s Board of Directors webpage.
About the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)
The IAFC represents the leadership of firefighters and emergency responders worldwide. IAFC members are the world's leading experts in firefighting, emergency medical services, terrorism response, hazardous materials spills, natural disasters, search and rescue, and public safety legislation. Since 1873, the IAFC has provided a forum for its members to exchange ideas, develop professionally and uncover the latest products and services available to first responders. Learn more
Jim Philipps | IAFC Assistant Director, Strategic Communications
703-537-4829 | firstname.lastname@example.org