This toolkit is a collection of policies, tips, tools and resources for fire and emergency service departments in search of information about the prevention of bullying in the workplace.
This resource and toolkit is a mix of existing and new resources from the IAFC, other fire service organizations, private industry and local model practices and SOPs. They range from simple, no-cost, common-sense solutions to those that are more resource-intensive.
- Safety Culture Measurement Tool
- Bully Defense Tools - A Resource for Kids, Parents & Teachers
- "Exploring Workplace Bullying in New Hampshire Fire Departments" by David F. Emanuel, Durham (N.H.) Fire Department (EFO Paper)
- Sample Anti-Harrasment Policy (Minooka Fire Protection District)
- Signs of Workplace Bullying
- Sample Policy: Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity, Anti-Harassment
- Harassment Prevention and Relationships Policy Review (Austin, Tx., Fire Department)
- Special Order - Harassment/Relationship Policy Educational Rollout (Austin, Tx., Fire Department)
- Personal and Family Relationships in the Workplace Policy (Austin, Tx., Fire Department)
- Harassment Prevention Policy (Austin, Tx., Fire Department)
- An Unexpected Study in Firefighter Harassment (FireChief.com)
Special thanks to the Safety, Health and Survival Section (SHSS), Volunteer and Combination Officers Section (VCOS), the Human Relations Committee, International Association of Women in Fire & EMS (iWomen) and others who've championed this cause and contributed to this toolkit.