This toolkit is a collection of policies, tips, tools and resources for fire and emergency service departments about the prevention of bullying in the workplace.
This resource is a mix of existing and new resources from the IAFC, other fire service organizations, private industry and local model practices and SOPs. They range from simple, no-cost, common-sense solutions to those that are more resource-intensive.
- Threat Management Policy Example (City of San Diego)
- Don’t Leave Workplace Civility to Chance
Civility (Leadership Now)
- Ontario Government Introduces Workplace Violence Legislation
- 5 Reasons Firefighter Training on Harassment Fails by Linda Willing for FireChief.com
- Safety Culture Measurement Tool
- Bully Defense Tools - A Resource for Kids, Parents & Teachers
- "Exploring Workplace Bullying in New Hampshire Fire Departments" by David F. Emanuel, Durham (NH) Fire Department (EFO Paper)
- Sample Anti-Harassment Policy (Minooka Fire Protection District)
- Signs of Workplace Bullying
- Sample Policy: Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity, Anti-Harassment
- Harassment Prevention and Relationships Policy Review (Austin, TX, Fire Department)
- Special Order - Harassment/Relationship Policy Educational Rollout (Austin, TX, Fire Department)
- Personal and Family Relationships in the Workplace Policy (Austin, TX, Fire Department)
- Harassment Prevention Policy (Austin, TX, Fire Department)
- An Unexpected Study in Firefighter Harassment (FireChief.com)
- K-12 is Where Future Bullies Practice
- Emergency Responder Crisis Text Line - Colorado First Responders
Special thanks to the Safety, Health and Survival Section (SHSS), Volunteer and Combination Officers Section (VCOS), the Human Relations Committee, International Association of Women in Fire & EMS (iWomen) and others who've championed this cause and contributed to this toolkit.