Nominate: Fire Chief of the Year
Presented in partnership with
Award media sponsor
Two awards will be presented in 2017; one for a career fire chief and one for a volunteer fire chief.
- A volunteer fire chief is defined as one who earns his or her principal livelihood by some means other than serving as a fire chief, even if the position of chief carries some compensation.
- A career fire chief is defined as one who earns his or her principal livelihood as a fire chief.
- In each category, the status of the fire department as a whole — paid, volunteer or combination — is not considered.
- Individuals who are eligible for nomination and selection as Fire Chief of the Year are limited to active chiefs of departments. Previous Fire Chief of the Year winners are not eligible.
- Selection criteria will emphasize leadership, innovation, professional development, integrity, service to the public and contributions to the fire service as a whole.
- All of a nominee's fire service activities and accomplishments will be considered, but, because this is the Fire Chief of the Year award, special emphasis will be placed on the period from 2014 through 2016. A nominee's command role at a major emergency incident, while relevant, will not be enough to place that individual into contention for the award.
Nominations may be submitted through organizations listed below. Organizations are responsible for notifying its candidate to ensure that he/she is willing to participate in the final selection process. A nomination in one or both categories will be accepted from:
- All sections and divisions of the IAFC
- International Association of Women in Fire & Emergency Services
- Institution of Fire Engineers
- Any state association of career and/or volunteer chiefs
- International Association of Fire Fighters
- International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters
- National Association of Hispanic Fire Fighters
- Congressional Fire Services Institute
- Center for Public Safety Excellence
- International Association of Arson Investigators
- Native American Fire Chiefs Association
- National Volunteer Fire Council
- Previous winners may nominate one chief and are not limited to their own winning category
- Any IAFC member
The 2017 nomination period is open! Submitting nominations has never been easier. Simply use the online form to submit your nomination today. The nomination period closes May 12. Questions? Contact: Firechiefaward@iafc.org
Nominate: Fire Chief of the Year
A distinguished panel of judges, appointed by the IAFC, will review each nomination and select the two winners. The IAFC reserves the right to omit an award. Winners will be announced at Fire-Rescue International in Charlotte, North Carolina on Tuesday, July 25. Winners will receive their award during the general session of FRI, Thursday, July 27, and will be featured in future issues of IAFC On Scene and FireChief.com.
Fire Chiefs of the Year
- Harry Beck, Mesa (Ariz.) Fire and Medical Department
- Willard H. “Bill” Halmich, Washington (Mo.) Volunteer Fire Company
- Charles Addington, Wolfforth (Texas) Fire & EMS
- Dan Eggleston, Albemarle (Va.) County Department of Fire Rescue
- Alan Martin, Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Fire and Rescue
- Chris Barron, Manchaca (Tex.) Fire Rescue
Complete Fire Chief of the Year winners list.