SHSS Board Openings
Four executive officers and three at-large directors will be elected in the 2024 SHS Section Election. Officers will be serve two-year terms and at-large directiors will serve three-year terms. All positions will begin at Fire-Rescue International 2024 in Dallas, Texas.
Candidates must be current active, non-retired members of the SHS Section and IAFC. If elected, they must maintain IAFC and Section memberships for the duration of their term. Members who are Associate members of the IAFC are not eligible to be SHS Section officers.
Any officer who retires during their term will be permitted to remain in their position until the next regular annual meeting of the section, at this time their seat will be filled. Officers who retire will not be allowed to finish out their term.
At-large Director Eligibility
Candidates must be current SHS Section and IAFC members. If elected, they must maintain IAFC and Section memberships for the duration of their term. Members who are Associate members of the IAFC are not eligible to be SHS Section directors.
At least six of the nine at–large directors of the section’s board of directors must be non-retired, no more than three of the at-large directors may be retired chief officers. There are currently two retirees serving as at-large directors.
Any at-large director of the section’s board who retires while in office shall be permitted to remain in office for the duration of his/her term as long as the number of retired directors on the board does not exceed three. If a retirement causes this number to rise to four, the director shall remain in office until the next regular annual meeting of the section, when a new director shall be elected by the membership.
Section members who are IAFC members may not serve on the section’s board of directors.
Submit Your Candidacy
If you are a chief officer and a member of the SHS Section who’s interested in serving your fellow section members by joining the SHS Section Board, send the following information to SHS Section liaison Taylor Munday by 5 PM ET Friday, February 16:
- Position within the organization
- Your supervisor’s written authorization to serve in the position being sought
- Must include acknowledgement of required travel and associated expenses for two (2) in-person board meetings each year - one at Fire-Rescue International and one at the Science to the Station conference. Travel expenses for these required meetings may not be covered in full by the board budget and the remaining amount would fall to the individual’s department or the individual themself.
- Disclosure of any potential conflict of interest, including private contractual or consulting relationships
- Safety officer certifications
- 250-word maximum biography and/or platform
Any questions regarding eligibility or how to submit your candidacy can be directed to the SHS Section liaison.
Meet the Candidates
Return to this page for information on all the candidates and their platforms in March 2024.