The IAFC Diversity Executive Leadership Program (iDELP) supports individuals from under-represented identity groups and those interested in increasing Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) in the ﬁre service and are committed to professional development. Participants are expected to participate in a leadership program of education, mentoring, and volunteer service in the IAFC and ﬁre service community.
DELP 2024 Application period is open now until January 1, 2024
Apply for iDELP Join IAFC
***Applicants chosen for the next iDELP cohort must become members of the IAFC by Feb.1st, 2024 if they are not already members.
Criteria and Guidelines
This 18-month program brings together 12 Fellows to focus on the challenges faced by leaders and organizations in the ﬁre service as they relate to DEIB and their impacts on the ﬁre and emergency service, particularly the IAFC and its members.
The program aims to establish a cohort of participants from geographical, underrepresented groups who are mid-level leaders (Captain and Chief-level Ofﬁcers) with access to executive leadership and line ﬁreﬁghters.
Applicants should be committed to professional development and contributing to creating DEIB resources for the IAFC that will help to create a DEIB program within their organization. The selected applicants should also have the ability and authority from their Fire Chief to support a DEIB program.
This program allows fellows to learn from each other, develop solutions to current and emerging issues, and share those solutions with the IAFC community while enhancing themselves as leaders and ambassadors of the IAFC.
The Selection Time Frame is as follows:
- Application announcement November 2023
- Open applications submitted by January 1, 2024
- Conduct interviews with candidates to ensure they understand the program, expectations, and commitment.
- Selection by January 31, 2024
- Announcement by January 31, 2024
The selected Fellows will come together as follows:
- The ﬁrst virtual meeting will be in February 2024, April, and June 2024
- In-Person Meeting August 2024, Full day before FRI
- Virtual check-ins in October, December 2024, April and June 2025
- In-Person February 2025
- FRI 2025, in-person for graduation and last in-person meeting
- Participants are expected to participate in the IAFC and tie into the IAFC initiatives.
Lastly, the expectations of the cohort include:
- Active participation in all virtual and in-person events
- Complete all assignments as provided
- Contribute to the DEIB guidebook/manual/ website
- Represent the IAFC
To be eligible for an iDELP Fellowship, candidates must:
- Must be a current IAFC member
- Currently employed as a company ofﬁcer or mid-level ﬁre and emergency service professional. Executive Chief Ofﬁcers may also be considered.
- Have a demonstrated history supporting the declarations outlined in the IAFC Human Dignity Statement.
- Have an illustrated history of professional, volunteer, or civic/community leadership experience.
- Commit to mentoring future Fellows and supporting the iDELP program through active involvement in post-completion activities.
- Maintain an ongoing relationship with peers, networking with members of other iDELP cohorts.
- Commit to attending in-person meetings during 2024 and 2025, including Fire-Rescue International (FRI) 2024 and 2025, and another in-person meeting at a centralized location to be announced. This program is limited to 12 participants.
- The IAFC will cover all travel expenses, including some meals and FRI access.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact David Becker, firstname.lastname@example.org.