Each year at Symposium in the Sun, the following awards and scholarships are presented. Do you know a person or department worthy of one of these awards? If so, please nominate them or encourage them to apply by 5 PM ET, September 29!
Award winners will have their travel and lodging paid for by the award sponsor. Winners also will receive a complimentary registration to Symposium in the Sun November 10-13 in Clearwater, Florida.
All award details can be accessed via the VCOS Awards page. A summary of each award is below:
- The John M. Buckman III Leadership Award: This award, sponsored by Provident Insurance, recognizes a chief officer of a volunteer or combination department who stands out on the local and/or regional level as a true professional who has demonstrated leadership, integrity and outstanding moral values within the fire service. You must be an IAFC member to apply.
- The William F. Jenaway Illness and Injury Prevention Award: This award, sponsored by VFIS, is designed to support the NFFF and USFA initiatives to reduce firefighter illnesses and injuries. The award recognizes success and excellence in developing and implementing an injury- or illness-prevention or vehicle-safety program. Typical types of programs that may qualify include physicals and physical fitness, wellness, cancer prevention, and vehicle safety. You do not need to be an IAFC or VCOS member to apply; however, you must apply on behalf of a fire and emergency service organization. You also must demonstrate a functioning program that reduces illness or injury.
- The Retention and Recruitment Award: This award, sponsored by VFIS, recognizes success and excellence in the retention and recruitment of emergency service organization members. The program will distinguish the application of state-of-the-art management activities and personnel initiatives that result in the increase and retention of members. The program must have been in place for at least one full year. You do not need to be an IAFC-VCOS member to apply.
- The Bettenhausen Scholarship: Chief Robert T. Bettenhausen was a co-founder and the first secretary/treasurer of the Volunteer and Combination Officers Section (VCOS). Chief Bettenhausen served as the fire chief and fire marshal of Tinley Park Fire Department. The Chief Robert T. Bettenhausen Scholarship to Symposium in the Sun is in honor of his many contributions to his community and the fire service as a whole. The scholarship seeks to assist chief officers from volunteer and combination departments which lack the financial resources to offer professional development to their leaders.
- The Chief James P. Seavey, Sr. Scholarship: This scholarship, sponsored by VCOS, seeks an individual that embodies the ideals of Chief James P. Seavey, Sr.; someone that has made it their goal to ensure the health and wellness of their sisters and brothers physically, mentally and spiritually.