Train Derailment in Miamisburg, OH (Lessons Learned)
Some lessons learned from the incident:
- Have a solid disaster plan in place. Make sure it is up‐to‐date and complies with the county’s emergency operations plan. It should be exercised regularly.
- Based on the disaster plan, have a quick reference checklist to enact the plan.
- Establish mutual aid agreements at all levels; local, county, regional and state. Conduct training exercises based on these plans.
- Have a working knowledge of hazardous materials being transported through and within your jurisdiction. This incident prompted changes in state legislation on reporting requirements.
- Maintain a unified command structure. Once in place and wroking, do not be intimidated into giving up command to other arriving agencies, rather work them into the current structure.
- Use the experience and knowledge of other emergency responders, government representatives, subcontractors, shippers, manufactures and their represntatives by conducting periodic information sharing and braining storming meetings.
- Resource Type:
- Organizational Author: